Technology Incubation Program (TIP)

UConn offers expansive innovation and entrepreneurship capacity developed in response to state and national needs, and is well positioned to help your business start, compete and grow. Its Technology Incubation Program (TIP) offers startups and expanding R&D operations the opportunity to locate on UConn campuses and to leverage University resources to enable their success. Offering a collaborative entrepreneurial environment, TIP provides access to business and technical talent as well as world class R&D capacity as part of UConn’s vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem.

Visit TIP at tip.uconn.edu

CRA Study Group

Sponsored Program Services (SPS) is developing a Certified Research Administrator study group to prepare members for the test that is administered through the Research Administrators Certification Council.  If you are interested in being a part of this group, please email brenda.lowther@uchc.edu.

PI Training

Under Uniform Guidance, it's the PIs responsibility to have first-hand knowledge about award management and SPS is continually developing educational materials to help you understand that obligation.  Educational opportunities that support this objective appear here.

As the program develops, opportunities will be added to the list below.  Please send any suggestions or comments to brenda.lowther@uchc.edu.

UConn Health Funding Module Training – Account Management System

Pertains to UConn Health Faculty and Staff members who use the Account Management System (AMS).

This 10 minute video explains the funding module available in the (AMS).  Faculty and Staff can use this video to learn how to navigate the AMS system to find the information needed to manage their awards.  Please contact ersadmin@uchc.edu for questions regarding the AMS system.  For questions regarding any UConn or UConn Health Training, please contact brenda.lowther@uchc.edu.

Research Administration Education Program

Sponsored Program Services (SPS) is developing a comprehensive research administration education program.  The program will include in-person training sessions, video tutorials, reference guides, and other workshops and events meant to provide support and professional development for research administrators, faculty, and students involved in research.

As the program develops, opportunities will be listed below and on the links available on the sidebar.  Please send any suggestions or comments to brenda.lowther@uchc.edu.

PI RA Online In-Person
UConn Health
UConn Storrs
X X X X X Federal Costing Principles – Under Development
X X X X Award management System – UCH – Under Development
X X X X Subawards – Under Development to be offered February 2019
X X X X Account Management and Monitoring – Under Development to be offered March 2019

Export Control Agreements

Export control laws are federal regulations that govern how certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas or to a foreign national on U.S. soil. The scope of the regulations is broad: they cover exports in virtually all fields of science, engineering, and technology and apply to research activities regardless of the source of funding. Failure to comply with these laws can have serious consequences, both for the institution and for the individual researcher. Potential penalties include fines and possibly imprisonment. It is thus critical for UConn researchers to understand their obligations under these regulations and to work with Research Compliance Services to ensure that the University is in compliance.

Please visit this section in the Research Integrity & Regulatory Affairs area of the website for more information.

Research Advisory Groups

The Office of the Vice President for Research’s (OVPR) mission of supporting and advancing faculty research greatly depends on involvement and input from faculty and from UConn’s schools/colleges.  To that end, the Vice President for Research (VPR) has established research advisory groups to facilitate communication and collaboration between the OVPR and stakeholders across the university.  These groups meet regularly to discuss research-related issues that impact UConn/UConn Health faculty and provide opportunities for faculty to convey concerns to the VPR and the OVPR executive team and to work together to identify and implement solutions.

For more information about the Research Advisory Council (RAC) and the Research Deans Council (RDC), please visit the Storrs site.  If you are seeking information about the Health Center Research Advisory Council, you can read more here.


Limited Submission Competitions

Increasingly, funding programs sponsored by federal agencies and private foundations place restrictions on the number of applicants from a single institution who are allowed to submit proposals/applications. These limited submission grants or awards require selection/nomination by the applicant’s host institution before proposals/applications can be submitted. At UConn/UConn Health, the selection process for limited submission awards is facilitated by the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR).

To learn more about the process and to view current limited submission competitions, visit the OVPR Storrs site.

Grantwriting Support Overview

Researchers in all disciplines face a dilemma: grant funding is increasingly necessary for fueling research advances while grants keep getting harder to win. The competitiveness of the grantseeking landscape means that funders can be more selective about funding the projects that most closely align with their goals and mission. It also means that most funders can have a lower tolerance for proposals that distract from the research/scholarship proposed by not following grantwriting best practices.

The good news? There are skills and techniques that faculty can learn that will make their work more attractive to funders.

The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) is pleased to provide a number of training opportunities, resources, and services to help our faculty build these skills and to assist them in producing grant applications that are as compelling as the research activities they propose.

To learn more, visit the OVPR Storrs site.