uconn health

Technology Incubation Program (TIP)

UConn offers expansive innovation and entrepreneurship capacity developed in response to state and national needs, and is well positioned to help your business start, compete and grow. Its Technology Incubation Program (TIP) offers startups and expanding R&D operations the opportunity to locate on UConn campuses and to leverage University resources to enable their success. Offering a collaborative entrepreneurial environment, TIP provides access to business and technical talent as well as world class R&D capacity as part of UConn’s vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem.

Visit TIP at tip.uconn.edu

Salary Charging

Sponsors, mostly federal but also some non-federal, impose a salary cap or salary limitation as a requirement in proposing and when accepting an award. A salary rate cap or limitation of salary imposed by a sponsor may be due to one of the following:

  • The Consolidated Appropriations Action, 2014 (H.R. 3547/Public Law 113-76) the Department of Health and Human Services’ (DHHS) agencies with the exception of the FDA (funded under the USDA appropriations bill) and the Indian Health Service (funded under the Department of Interior appropriations bill) are required to:
    • Impose a salary rate cap applicable to grants, cooperative agreements and contracts (with the exception of those that are clearly defined to be exempt from the cap) for all DHHS agencies (i.e. HHS, NIH, AHRQ, CDC, HRSA, SAMHSA, etc.).
    • Sets the salary rate cap at the Executive Level II of the Federal Pay schedule.
  • Sponsors (federal and non-federal) other than the sponsors identified above may have a salary reimbursement request limitation as a matter of policy (Ex. NIH K awards and NSF Awards); and
  • Sponsors (federal or non-federal, including subawards or pass-thru awards) may have a salary rate cap that may be program specific limiting the recovery of salary.

For more information:


Award Management System

Award Management System (AMS) supports pre-award requests and automated notifications of award setups, in addition to the electronic Labor Redistributions (LDCAs), Effort Reporting, Committed Effort Management and the My Funding grant review module. Over the coming year, the system will be expanded to include other grant management functions.

Link to AMS: https://ets.uchc.edu

Request AMS Access

AMS uses a single-sign on portal which means it uses your UCH assigned User Name and Password. Employees are automatically registered in AMS. Please contact Ella Sun at esun@uchc.edu or at 860-679-8961 if you are a new user in AMS so you can be assigned an appropriate position which will activate your account in AMS.

AMS Help-AMS Quick Guides

Committed Effort

Committed effort that is promised to a sponsor (as part of the proposal) for principal investigators (PIs), co-principal investigators and key personnel is available for review by faculty and departmental staff at UConn Health via the Committed Effort Report. These reports are entered and tracked by the AMS-Committed Effort module.

  • Fund Setup Team enters all faculty member’s and key personnel’s committed effort based on the grant application when completing the fund setup.
  • Fund Setup Team deletes/edits faculty member and key personnel’s existing committed effort if change in committed effort is approved by the sponsor.
  • It is expected that the PIs and his/her department administrators will report significant reductions in committed effort for PIs and additional key personnel to sponsors.

Important Effort Reporting Dates

Effort Reporting Timelines

Quarters Report Generation Department Admin Review PI Certification
Q1 End of September October November
Q2 End of December January February
Q3 End of March April May
Q4 End of June July August

Export Control Agreements

Export control laws are federal regulations that govern how certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas or to a foreign national on U.S. soil. The scope of the regulations is broad: they cover exports in virtually all fields of science, engineering, and technology and apply to research activities regardless of the source of funding. Failure to comply with these laws can have serious consequences, both for the institution and for the individual researcher. Potential penalties include fines and possibly imprisonment. It is thus critical for UConn researchers to understand their obligations under these regulations and to work with Research Compliance Services to ensure that the University is in compliance.

Please visit this section in the Research Integrity & Regulatory Affairs area of the website for more information.