Protocol Applications and Modifications: Submission Instructions, Deadlines, and Forms
Please scroll to the bottom of this page to view IACUC meeting deadlines and important review information.
INFOED IMPLEMENTATION FOR ANIMAL CARE AND USE PROTOCOLS
We have completed the IACUC’s transition from Topaz to InfoEd. The InfoEd Animal Use/ IACUC module is now available for use within the UConn Health InfoEd eRA Portal at https://uchealth.infoed.uconn.edu. This is the same site that many researchers use for disclosing Financial Conflicts of Interests in Research or to view SPS grant proposal/award information. The Animal Use / IACUC module will be available once a user logs in. The InfoEd eRA portal is secured by UConn NetID which usually uses the format of your initials and a sequence of five numbers (e.g. abc12345). It is different from your UConn Health or Topaz Elements login. If you don’t know your NetID, you may look it up at https://netid.uconn.edu. You may obtain NetID and password assistance by calling 860-486-4357.
However, not all researchers will need to use InfoEd right away for animal protocols. Please read the following updated points to address any questions or concerns you may have about your existing protocol or when planning a new protocol submission.
- If you have an existing protocol which is approved by the IACUC that is not expired, or not expiring soon, you do not need to do anything at this time. You will not need to use the InfoEd system until your protocol expires. If you need to submit a modification, see below.
- If you have a currently approved IACUC protocol with an expiration date of September 30, 2020 or later, you still have time but may begin to work on you protocol Initial Application within InfoEd UConn Health at https://uchealth.infoed.uconn.edu. You will not need to submit your protocol until approximately 6-8 weeks before it is set to expire so that it can be reviewed and approved prior to the expiration date. In section 1 of the eform, choose “3 year renewal” for the type of protocol. See the helpful how-to guides for step by step instructions.
- If you have a currently approved IACUC protocol that has an expiration date of July or August 2020, and you need to make a 3-year (re)new protocol. You should begin working on that immediately at https://uchealth.infoed.uconn.edu and submit your protocol as soon as possible prior to the expiration date. Create a new Initial Application protocol. In Section 1 of the eForm, choose “3 year renewal” for the type of protocol submission. See the helpful how-to guides for step by step instructions.
- If you need to submit a protocol modification or an annual review on an existing protocol. Please visit https://ovpr.uchc.edu/services/rics/animal/iacuc/protocol/ for the necessary forms to submit an interim Word Document to file your modification or annual review. The IACUC Office will maintain the submission records within InfoEd. Researchers will not be submitting forms through InfoEd for these transition protocols at this time.
- If you have a protocol that has expired and requires a 3-year (re)new protocol, you may now login to InfoEd UConn Health at https://uchealth.infoed.uconn.edu to create a new Initial Application protocol. In section 1 of the eform, choose “3 year renewal” for the type of protocol submission. See the helpful how-to guides for step by step instructions.
- If you need to submit a new protocol. You may now login to InfoEd UConn Health at https://uchealth.infoed.uconn.edu and begin to prepare and submit an Initial Protocol Application in the Animal Use / IACUC module. In Section 1 of the eform, choose “New Protocol” as the type of protocol submission. See the helpful how-to guides for step by step instructions.
The InfoEd Animal Facilities module that will be used by the Center for Comparative Medicine (CCM) and researchers to manage their cages and animals is expected to be made available later this month. Details will be announced once that system becomes ready for use by investigators.
If you have technical questions, experience any difficulties with using InfoEd, discover any issues or see things that just don’t seem quite right, please document them by creating screenshots and provide a synopsis of the steps you took prior to seeing the issue. Please send these materials to email@example.com. All Research IT staff are telecommuting so staff will be unable to answer the main support line at 860-486-7944, but you may leave a detailed message and staff will call you back or reply back via email as soon as possible. However, a chat feature is available within the main portions of InfoEd to chat with Research IT staff live during normal business hours, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM weekdays. Again, NetID login/password assistance should be directed to the Storrs ITS Support Center at 860-486-4357.
We thank you for your continued patience as we transition protocols from one system to another and change vendors. We are hopeful that you will find the new system an improvement upon the old one with greater access from different web browsers and operating systems from both home and in the office.
Please note that InfoEd has the ability to attach documents. Documents are only allowed to supplement information, not replace information. In addition, you cannot attach or reference “living” documents (such as google docs). Anything referenced or linked to Topaz must be “static”.
CLARIFICATION OF TERMS USED IN THE IACUC REGARDING NEW / 3 YEAR RENEWAL PROTOCOLS:
3 YEAR RENEWAL PROTOCOLS – These are to be processed as INITIAL APPLICATIONS and you select “3-year renewal” as the protocol type.
By law, 3 year renewals require a de novo review, which we do by having the PI create a new protocol.
The following are examples of different aspects of the animal care and use protocol form.
- Example of Project Overview
- Example of Alternatives to Painful Procedures
- Surgical procedures
- Non surgical procedures
- Topaz Electronic Protocol System Directions for Researchers
- Specific information on protocol sections for researchers
All animal users must have current UConn Health animal use training. You can sign up for training by going to the training event schedule and following the directions posted there. Protocols will not be approved unless all individuals listed as using animals have had required animal use training.
The IACUC office has a workbook entitled “Working with the IACUC: Writing an Animal Protocol” which was written by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AAALAS). It is a good resource for individuals who must write animal care and use protocols. You can get a copy by going to the IACUC office or contacting the IACUC office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interim Word Documents
Typically, deadlines are somewhat flexible. Please contact the IACUC office at email@example.com if it is imperative that your submission be on a particular agenda date and you are submitting after the deadline date and time, it will require the approval of the IACUC Chair. The only exceptions to this are the deadlines for the November and December agendas – the deadlines are FIRM at noon on the date listed.
Only complete protocols will be reviewed by the IACUC; simply submitting a protocol by the deadline does not mean that the protocol is ready for Committee review. If your protocol is returned for any reason, you must resubmit the revised protocol by the deadline date to be considered at that month’s meeting.
Reviews after the meetings are sent to the PI as soon as possible; however, please note that the IACUC requires 2-3 business days to process reviews. Please do not call the IACUC office about the status of your reviewed submission immediately after the meeting; if you have not received your review by the end of the day the Tuesday following the IACUC meeting, please call the IACUC office at x3429.
|Meeting Date||Deadline for Protocol and Modification Submissions|
|July 30, 2020||Noon, Friday, July 17, 2020|
|August 27, 2020||Noon, Monday, August 10, 2020|
|September 24, 2020||Noon, Thursday, September 10, 2020|
|October 29, 2020||Noon, Monday, October 12, 2020|
|November 19, 2020||Noon, Tuesday, November 10, 2020 SORRY, NO EXCEPTIONS ALLOWED|
|December 17, 2020||Noon, Thursday, December 10, 2020 SORRY, NO EXCEPTIONS ALLOWED|