In order to inform all IACUC members as to their responsibilities when appointed to the committee, UConn Health’s IACUC has implemented a policy to clearly define expectations.
- It is expected that IACUC members will inform the IACUC Administrator by email that they accept the appointment when they receive the appointment letter from the Institutional Official.
- It is expected that IACUC members will not use any confidential information received during the period of participation on the IACUC for any purpose other than to fulfill the obligations in accordance with service on the IACUC.
- It is expected that IACUC members will return any data regarding products, processes, operating procedures and/or research, animal care and use protocols, and other similar documents furnished or made available to the member at the end of the period of participation on the IACUC to the IACUC Administrator. Alternately, the members may destroy such documents.
- IACUC members should be aware of federal regulations in the Animal Welfare Act, Title 7, Chapter 54, Section 2157, that it is unlawful for any member of an IACUC to release confidential information to a third party or to use, or attempt to use, confidential information to their own advantage.
- It is expected that IACUC members will declare any potential conflict of interest related to their work on the IACUC. If an IACUC member has a conflict of interest during a committee review, the IACUC member must recuse himself from the vote.
- It is expected that IACUC members will keep any required training modules and OHS enrollments up-to-date.
- It is expected that IACUC members will participate in all areas of IACUC function including, but not limited to, protocol review, semi-annual facility inspections, semi-annual program reviews, PAWS reviews, continuing education opportunities, and non-compliance investigations.
- It is expected that IACUC members will complete assigned protocol reviews by the due date assigned by the IACUC administrative staff. If IACUC members cannot perform the assigned reviews, they should contact the IACUC Administrator so another reviewer can be assigned.
- It is expected that IACUC members will attend scheduled, monthly IACUC meetings. The meetings are generated a year in advance and are located on the IACUC website. If a member cannot attend a meeting, they should notify the IACUC office (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance.
Effective Dates: December 6, 2018 thru December 31, 2021
This policy has been approved by a majority vote of the IACUC.