HCRAC assists core facilities, small groups of investigators and individual investigators to obtain the equipment they need to advance their research programs. Research funded through the National Institutes of Health and other extramurally funded research generated funds through the recovery of indirect costs to support the repair and/or replacement of equipment essential to the advancement of research projects. Support is available only for capital expenditures, which cover the purchase and installation of equipment or computer software that has a useful life of more than three years and a total cost of over $5000. PIs with significant non-DCAA discretionary funds may not be eligible for emergency equipment replacement support.
Research Equipment Repair/Replacement
PIs and/or departments can request a replacement or repair of essential lab equipment under the following guidelines:
- HCRAC will provide 80% of the cost of the replacement/repair up to a limit of $40,000
- PIs/Departments can make one request every two years (rare exceptions can be made for a second request in that time frame on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of HCRAC; e.g. a critical emergency such as a freezer breaking)
- PIs need to have current or pending research funding, or have submitted a grant in the past three years to be eligible for this fund
- For PI requests, the item needs to have been originally purchased by or for the PI
Information on the item being replaced and its users must be supplied, along with quotations for at least two potential replacements and the rationale for their selection. Requests for funds must be submitted using the Research Equipment Repair-Replacement Form. Requests will be evaluated as they are received.
New Capital Equipment
Investigators may request new equipment whose usage can be overseen in an existing HCRAC Core facility or by a clearly identified team of investigators under the following guidelines:
- Equipment requests can be made for items between $5,000 and $500,000
- HCRAC will provide up to 80% of the cost of the item unless it is to be placed in a HCRAC Core facility, in which case HCRAC will provide the full cost. For equipment placed in a core facility, requesting investigators will be required to pay usage fees as set by the managing core.
- Investigators can be part of one successful request every two years
- HCRAC will provide initial review followed by final review by the Associate Dean for Research and Dean for the appropriate school(s)
- Past awards of HCRAC Capital Equipment funds to PIs on the application will be a consideration during review
- Review decisions may take up to 6 months, so please plan accordingly
Guidelines and criteria for new capital equipment fund requests are included on the Capital Equipment Application Form.
HCRAC expects investigators to allow access to all new and departmental replacement equipment supported by HCRAC funds. For a listing of HCRAC supported equipment for the past few years, visit the HCRAC Equipment Awards page.