Proposal Submission Requirements
The following should be submitted to SPS 5 business days prior to the sponsor deadline:
- Completed routing form
- Proposal Guidelines from Sponsoring Agency
- Any forms requiring OVPR/SPS (institutional) signature
- Draft Proposal Narrative
- Preliminary Budget and Budget Justification
- Cost Sharing Details and Approvals, if applicable
- Approved Scope of Work, Budget, Budget Justification and Signed Subrecipient Checklist/Consortium Statement for all subcontractors.
- Draft electronic application, if applicable (Final applications should be submitted to SPS by noon the day prior to the sponsor deadline)
For budget review prior to submission of the items listed above, please forward the routing form, program guidelines, budget and budget justification to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following proposal submission due dates allow SPS sufficient time to review the proposal thoroughly, identify necessary corrections and make appropriate recommendations. The review timeframe allows PIs ample time to finalize the proposal prior to submission to sponsors.
|Items Required for Submission to SPS||SPS Due Date|
|Proposal Review Materials for all proposals, including electronic (see Proposal Preparation Checklist for specific requirements)||5 business days|
|Final Applications for Electronic Submission (ready to submit)||Noon the day prior to the deadline|
5 Business Days Prior to the Sponsor Due Date
Forward Proposal Review Materials to SPS for review.
- The PI/Dept. should forward the proposal review materials to SPS 5 business days prior to the due date. The proposal review materials can be hand delivered or emailed to email@example.com.
Noon the Day Prior to the Sponsor Due Date
Release Final Electronic Application to the SPS for Submission to the Sponsor.
- The PI /Dept. should release the final application to SPS by noon the day prior to the due date for electronic submission to the sponsor. This allows time for final review and for submittal several hours in advance to minimize possible technology problems and maximize time for corrections in response to system errors indicated by Grants.gov (or other electronic systems).
Late Submission for SPS Due Dates
If proposal materials are not received in SPS by the internal due dates, the proposal is added to the queue and is processed in the order it was received. The PI assumes the risk that there may be insufficient time for adequate proposal review, that he/she may need to correct errors in the electronic submission, and that the sponsor deadline may be missed.
Proposal Submission on Days that the University has an Unscheduled Closing Due to Inclement Weather
PIs should contact the sponsor directly to request an extension for a proposal due on a day that the University closes due to inclement weather. Please copy firstname.lastname@example.org on the extension request.
The NSF policy can be found below. For other sponsors, please refer to the sponsor’s specific policies on late submissions due to inclement weather.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your OVPR SPS Sponsored Programs Specialist.
Special Exceptions to NSF’s Deadline Date Policy
In the event of a natural or anthropogenic disaster, or when NSF is closed due to inclement weather or other reason that interferes with an organization’s ability to meet a proposal submission deadline, NSF has developed the following guidelines for use by impacted organizations.
Natural or Anthropogenic Disasters – Flexibility in meeting announced deadline dates because of a natural or anthropogenic disaster that impacts a proposer’s ability to submit a proposal to NSF may be granted with the approval of the cognizant NSF Program Officer. Where possible, such requests should be submitted in advance of the proposal deadline. The Foundation will work with each impacted organization on a case-by-case basis to address its specific issue(s). Proposers should contact the cognizant NSF Program Officer in the Division/Office to which they intend to submit their proposal and request authorization to submit a “late proposal.” Proposers should then follow the written or verbal guidance provided by the cognizant NSF Program Officer. Generally, NSF permits extension of the deadline by five business days.
Closure of NSF – When NSF is closed due to inclement weather or other reason, deadline(s) that occurred during the closure will be extended to the following business day after the closure ends.