Sponsored Program Services (SPS) is developing a comprehensive research administration education program. The program will include in-person interactive learning experiences, online training modules, video tutorials, reference guides, and other workshops and events meant to provide support and professional development for research administrators, faculty, and students involved in research.
As the program develops, opportunities will be listed below and emailed to the Farmington Research Administration email group. If you would like to be added to the Farmington Research Administration email group or you have any suggestions or comments, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CRA Exam Study Buddies
So you want to study for the Certified Research Administrator (CRA) exam?
Do yourself a huge favor and join the Virginia Tech Study Group!
They maintain a comprehensive program that includes weekly topics, daily study tips, and more! To join the VT CRA Study Group, go to their website and click on the topic “How do I get involved with the study team?”. Please read all the information on their page as it gives you a lot of information about the exam as well as the study group.
If you want a study buddy, add your name to our CRA Study Buddy spreadsheet and reach out to the people already on the list! If you no longer want people to contact you, please return to the spreadsheet to delete your information. This spreadsheet is not monitored. If you see any problems, please email email@example.com.
Level One Basics of Research Administration
This 7 hour course is taught in two 3.5 hour sessions. Topics include:
- Defining research and research administration at UConn and UConn Health
- Clarifying a sponsored project, its lifecycle, and the roles and responsibilities of all involved
- Exploring the Office of the Vice President for Research and Sponsored Program Services
- Defining agreement, sponsor, and funding types
- Explaining compliance and audit regulations and findings
- Introducing the subjects and terminology of pre and post award management
Federal Costing Principles Interactive Learning Experience
Federal Costing Principles
New for 2023-2024! This course will now be offered in two formats. Employees may now opt for either an instructor-led course offered via WebEx, or a new on-demand, online training module. The course description below is applicable to both trainings, and registration for both will be through Saba (linked below).
In this three hour interactive learning experience, research administrators will engage in activities designed to help them:
- confidently explain the importance of Uniform Guidance in research administration
- evaluate costs to federally funded accounts against Uniform Guidance requirements to ensure compliance
- make informed and accurate costing decisions using Uniform Guidance requirements as the foundation
- make use of available UConn/UConn Health resources for questions and assistance
This training is highly interactive. You will be engaging with your peers to solve questions by “writing” on the screen and using other online tools. Participants must have access to a reliable device with audio/video capabilities (laptop/desktop/tablet) to participate in class. WebEx will be the platform used to administer the course.
Subaward Theory and Application
New for 2023-2024! This course is now being offered in an e-learning format.
This self-guided, 20-minute module will discuss the basics about the theory of subawards, including:
- the definition of a subaward,
- a review of common subaward terminology,
- and a discussion about Cost Composition and Modified Total Direct Costs.
Part two will cover everything you need to submit for a new subaward or amendment:
- the information requirements for initiating a subaward,
- the initiation process,
- drafting a subaward,
- monitoring subaward activities, and
- amendments to a subaward.
This class can be accessed in Saba.
If you would be interested in Subawards as an instructor-led training, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training Videos and NCURA Webinars
Training Videos and NCURA Webinars can be found on the OVPR-SPS NCURA Webinars Channel (NetID Logon required).
UConn Health Funding Module Training – Account Management System
Pertains to UConn Health Faculty and Staff members who use the Account Management System (AMS).
This 10 minute video explains the funding module available in the (AMS). Faculty and Staff can use this video to learn how to navigate the AMS system to find the information needed to manage their awards. Please contact email@example.com for questions regarding the AMS system. For questions regarding any UConn or UConn Health Training, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.