• uconn
  • uconn health
Page content relevant to:


  1. Request access to the controlled data sets from the appropriate dbGaP (Database of Genotypes and Phenotypes) Data Access Committee (DAC): https://dbgap.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/aa/dbgap_request_process.pdf.
  2. Download and complete the model Data Use Certification (DUC) for the controlled data set of interest:
    • Visit the dbGAP site at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gap.
    • Search for the study from which data are requested. For example, “joint addiction, aging, mental health” results in number of studies.dbgap1
    • Click on the linked study title of interest for instructions on how to download the model DUC and determine if IRB approval is required. Model DUC and IRB Requirements can be found under the “Study” tab in the “Authorized Access” section (as shown in screenshot).
    • If IRB approval is required, go to the section for “dbGaP Access Request” found at https://ovpr.uchc.edu//rcs/hspp/irb/irb-instructions-forms-and-samples/
      download and complete the form “dbGaP Access Request Form for IRB Certification.”
  3. Complete the Data Security and Data Release Form (MS Word)  (PDF).
  4. Email the completed Model Data Use Certification, IRB Approval for dbGaP Data Access (if required), and Data Security and Data Release Reporting form to the AVP for Research, Research IT Services – Dr. Khamis Abu-Hasaballah – at khamis@uconn.edu. Upon verification and approval of these documents, the AVP for Research will issue a certification letter signed by him, the Institutional Chief Security Officer, and the Institutional Signing Official (SPS Director).